It’s a rich source of Vitamin C, which is a great remedy for children suffering from asthma. It is a strong anti-inflammatory & anti-oxidant. These vegetables are an excellent source of body energy. Foods which contain beta-carotene can lower the possibilities of lung cancer. It can improve the structure of capillaries. It has also been revealed that foods which contain Vitamin A or beta-carotene can reduce the risk of cataracts & also improve the night blindness related problems. It can control the formation of kidney stones. According to several studies it can even lower the heart related ailments.
1. Winter squash (as per your choice)- 1 ½ pound
2. Olive oil (extra virgin)- 2 tbsp
3. Onion- 1 medium size (minced)
4. Garlic cloves-2 (chopped)
5. Fresh saga- 1 tsp (chopped)
6. Fresh parsley- 2 tbsp (chopped)
7. Egg- 3
8. Low fat milk- 1/2cup
9. Parmesan cheese- 1/4cup (grated)
10. Ground pepper & salt- as per taste
11. Gruyere cheese-1/2 cup (grated)
• Preheat the oven at 425 degree F. Prepare a baking sheet with foil & rub olive oil on the foil.
• Chop the squash in half & take out seeds & slimy mess.
• Apply oil on the cut side of the squash & place it on baking sheet (cut surface down).
• Allow it to bake for about 40-45 minutes (until you can cut it easily).
• Take it off from the oven & let it cool.
• Peel off the fleshy thing & make a puree with the help of food processer (you can even cut it into small cubes).
• Lower the temperature at 425 degree F & pour oil on 2 quart gratin or baking dish.
• In a frying pan heat the left over oil & add onions. Let it fry for 5-8 minutes.
• Now add the garlic & stir until the sweet-scent starts coming out.
• Add saga, parsley & squash. Stir properly & remove it from heat.
• Add pepper & salt to enhance the taste.
• Take a medium size bowl & beat the eggs with milk. Pour ground pepper & salt.
• Pour the squash mixture & gruyere.
• Spread evenly on the prepared baking dish & scatter parmesan all over the mixture.
• Place it in baking oven for about 40-45 minutes (till it turns brown in colour).
• Remove from the oven & serve hot.