How many times have you heard about foods that fight facial wrinkles? Is it true? Think about this. How much are you spending on maintaining your anti-aging regimen now to help you protect and correct the damage on your aging skin? Now, how much do you spend weekly or monthly on healthy, skin-friendly foods? When you see a wide gap, you’re not investing your money well.
You are what you eat
Can you honestly say that you’ve been eating for your health or to prevent wrinkles? Most people would eat for pleasure. According to Hippocrates, you should instead, “Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food”. You eat to obtain energy and not only to satisfy your taste buds. With this purpose in mind, you should be able to remind yourself always to keep loading up on clean fuel for your body. It gets more exciting. Did you know that there are foods which can, in fact, help you correct wrinkles and protect your skin from prematurely aging?
Here are the Top 10 Foods you want in your anti-wrinkle diet:
- Turmeric: This spice of Indian origins has been used for many centuries to treat infections and a long list of diseases. The rest of the world is only beginning to understand its powerful anti-inflammatory properties though. Inflammation in the body is the root cause of all aches, pains and diseases. When your skin cells are inflamed, it becomes prone to aging and deterioration. To add turmeric to your diet, take it as a tea. It is available in powdered form. Or, add it to your dishes for a surprising, tastier treat.
- Coconut Oil: It works wonderfully as a topical treatment and probably bests most commercial serums and moisturizers but, people also take it in its pure, liquid form. Others prefer to supplement with it. Why? Its fatty acid content is what makes it healthy and that is exactly what your skin needs to restore its ideal moisture content. Essential fatty acids also help heal damaged skin, which manifests as wrinkles on face, faster.
- Olive Oil: Its best anti-aging feature: powerful antioxidants. Like coconut oil, you will probably also love the feel of your skin after pampering it with olive oil but, it is also good when ingested. Cooking with olive oil helps you get those antioxidants which re-energizes and reawakens your skin cells.
- Chocolate: Not just any kind, mind you. You’d want to get your hands on antioxidant-rich dark chocolate. Antioxidants help detox your skin and protect it from cell-damaging free radicals and UV. Get this: chocolate is good for your hair too. It helps alleviate hair fall and helps you grow healthier, bouncier hair too.
- Tomatoes: Sure your face loves it as a toner but, quenching on tomatoes from within will promote better-moisturized skin even better. Tomatoes are rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin A, both supercharged for anti-aging skin. Tomatoes protect against damage but also deliver wrinkle correcting functions.
- Fatty fish: Fish like salmon, tuna, and mackerel contain very high levels of Omega 3 fatty acids. These healthy fats help restore your skin’s natural ability to effectively capture and retain moisture, and help your skin hold on to that moisture over a longer period of time.
- Avocados: Another group of foods with high Omega 3 fatty acid content are avocados. They’re great for deserts but also goes well with your salads and, yeah, your nachos and burrito as guacamole. Avocados push it further all for the wonderfully youthful benefit of your skin. Avocados are also rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Vitamin A, powerful antioxidants that help uplift dull and fatigued skin while also speeding up natural skin mechanisms for repair, regeneration, and turnover.
- Sunflower Seeds: Finding a better way to snack? How about munching on crispy and tasty sunflower seeds? You’ll be eating for your skin health and heart health. Sunflower seeds are rich in linoleic acid which helps strengthen skin synthesis and prevent facial wrinkles by reinforcing your skin’s outer layer, making it more resilient to damage.
- Leafy Greens: Without any doubt, leafy greens must count among the world’s healthiest foods and these are also great for your skin. These are laden with minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that all work together to give your skin a healthy, radiant glow. It works another way to help prevent wrinkles on face though. Leafy greens are known to enhance your mood. That means you are stressing less and smiling more often. Leafy greens also help you maintain a healthy gut so that your body can absorb more of the good stuff from all of the healthy foods that you eat.
- Bell Peppers: Your pasta dishes love ‘em, and so does your skin. Bell peppers contain very high levels of antioxidants, beta-carotene, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Combined, these nutrients help relieve your skin of inflammation but also keep it strong and better able to resist damages to the skin matrix which, in turn, lead to the appearance of wrinkles and other visible signs of skin aging.
Don’t you ever think for a moment that all you need is a good wrinkle cream to help you prevent wrinkles? What you need is a more holistic skin care that will love and care for your skin inside and out. Choosing your food wisely gives you a good head start in getting on a more holistic skin care strategy.