The best sandwich I ever had, I found in a newspaper clipping posted on a wall in the Liverpool University gym. I didn’t make it as soon as I saw it, instead I’d finish every session in the gym and walk past it and think that would be the perfect way to end the day.
I’d dream about one day buying all of the essential ingredients necessary to make it the perfect sandwich it could be. That sandwich had everything you needed for growth, repair and energy, and best of it all, all the ingredients went straight to your muscles. My biceps are tingling just thinking about it.
Without further ado here it is, The Essential Bodybuilding Sandwich:
by : wikimedia
- 3 Slices of Rye Bread
- 2 Turkey Breasts
- 3 Slices of Pastrami Beef
- A Handful of Spinach
- 4 Gherkins halved
- A Poached Egg
- 1 sliced Beef Tomato
- A Dollop of Light Mayonnaise
- Finely sliced quarter of Chilli
- 1 Green Olive
- Cocktail stick
Poach the turkey breasts for 15- 20 mins.
Toast the rye bread.
Once toasted spread Mayonnaise on two of the rye bread slices.
Prepare your pastrami, tomato, chilli, gherkins and spinach and then place them on the two mayonnaised rye bread slices.
Begin poaching your egg just before you take the turkey off (But poach them in seprate pans!) and after you have dried off your turkey and sliced it, put it with the other ingredients, your egg should be softly poached by now (about 2 mins). Stack the sandwich together, the egg should be placed on the top tier of your sandwich.
Press the sandwich down and get the egg yolk lubricating the sandwich. Then pin it with the cocktail stick (Don’t eat this!) and whack an olive on top.
EAT YOUR HEART OUT.
I used to wash it down with one of these bad boys: http://www.lamuscle.com/products/proteins and the rest of the evening felt amazing. I could easily get right back in the gym the next day.
Why is it so good for you?
- Rye Bread contain molecules with a large water-binding capacity, swelling in your stomach so you’re full for longer.
- Pastrami is high in sodium nitrate, which aids muscle recovery by relaxing arteries so more blood and oxygen can get through.
- Poached turkey and egg are low in fat and packed with protein, aiding muscle growth and repair. Meaning you can jump right back into the gym the next day.
- Spinach is packed with iron which creates more red blood cells and then more oxygen in the blood.
- Mayonnaise can be quite fatty due to high salt content, the lighter option will provide less fat.
- One large sweet gherkin pickle contains 32 calories and less than 1 gram of fat. It’s low in fat and calories and a great way to add flavour. They’re a good source of potassium too, which will lower your blood pressure.
- The olive is all for decoration. A tasty treat to finish an amazing sandwich.
If you’re looking for more great sandwich recipes check out the Guardian’s website their sandwich range blows my mind!