It is often difficult for people suffering from food sensitivities and conditions such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) to find meals that are delicious, satisfying and won’t upset their stomach. Here we give you a delicious and nutritious breakfast sandwich that is sure to please everyone in your family.
What makes this sandwich so great, besides the taste, is that it is free from grains and milk products. It also contains low FODMAP foods for those suffering from IBS. Australian researchers have discovered that eating diets with low FODMAP foods can help IBS sufferers and others who have food intolerances or allergies (click here for information on how to test for this).
The basic assumption behind the low FODMAP diet is that certain foods increase the volume of liquid and gas in your stomach, thereby causing abdominal distention, gas and bloating. By reducing the FODMAPs in your diet, you will decrease the liquid and gas in your stomach, leading to improved abdominal symptoms.
Whether or not you are interested in eating a gluten or lactose free diet, you will be sure to enjoy the following Poached Egg Barbecue Sandwich. It is a great alternative to an Egg Benedict with a unique taste that we’re sure you will love. It is also easily doubled, so be sure to make this one for all your family and friends.
- 1 gluten-free English muffin, split in half
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 slices tomato
- Your favourite barbecue sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Toast the English muffins.
- Fill a skillet (25 cm works best) with about 50 mm of water. Bring the water to a boil and stir in the vinegar and salt. Turn the heat down so the water is in a rolling boil.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl first and then drop the egg into the water slowly and carefully. Once your first egg is safely in the water, repeat with your second egg.
- Cook the eggs for two to three minutes.
- Place a slice of tomato and the amount of spinach you like on one half of the English muffin. Repeat on the other one.
- When the eggs are properly poached, remove them from the water with a slotted spoon. Carefully place one egg on each muffin.
- Pour barbecue sauce to your taste over the top of the egg. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve warm.