There is a group of drugs which are called histamine-2 blockers, Ranitidine belongs to this family of drugs. The amount of acid that our stomach manufactures, Ranitidine usually works to reduce them.The trade name for this is Zantac. It is basically a histamine H2-receptor antagonist that prevents production of stomach acids. It is mainly prescribed in the treatment of peptic ulcer disease (PUD) and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Some more uses are:
- Preventing intestine as well as stomach ulcer
- Treating a condition called Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Throat ailment etc.
This drug is available in various forms in the market, like syrup or injection or tablet. Sometimes zantac interferes in the absorption process of certain drugs whose absorption requires acid as an essential component. Some examples of such drugs are as follows iron sulphate , itraconazole (Soranox) , Ketoconazole (Nizoral ) .
Precautions that you need to take
While you are consulting with your doctor, don’t forget to mention if you are experiencing the following conditions:
- If you are breast feeding or pregnant, then inform your doctor about this fact. Because it could lead to a high risk condition for your baby, by secreting into breast milk.
- People who are suffering from acute porphyria or have any past experience need to avoid this drug.
- Any history of kidney ailments also needs to be mentioned to the consulting physician.
- If your kid is yet to cross 16, then don’t forget to mention his/her age while consulting with your doctor.
- People with problems like anemia, sudden weight loss or facing difficulty in swallowing etc.
Some side effects are:
When some medications provide undesired effects, those effects are usually known as side effects. It could be permanent or temporary. They can sometimes be severe as well as mild in some other cases.
Though the following side effects are not experienced by each & everyone, nonetheless if you are facing something problematic don’t waste any time to consult with your doctor.
- Trouble in sleeping
- Irregular hearbeat
- Muscle pain
- Chest pain
- Liver ailments
- Skin rash
- Yellowing of eyes or even skin
- Swelling of mouth or feet or hands or lips etc.
- Tender breasts or even swollen breasts in men
- Dark urine or clay colored stools etc.