When a man is unable to do sex with his partner due to erection problems is suffering from Erection Dysfunction, erection problems are most commonly known as Erectile dysfunction or Impotence.
These problems can occur at any age but they are found in men, who are suffering from different health diseases.
Treatment can help in reducing the symptoms of this disease.
According to the Massachusetts study of men relating to their age, it says that about 40% of men suffer from Erectile Dysfunction at the age of 40 years in comparison with the 70% of men at the age of 70 years. The increase in Erectile Dysfunction increases at about 5% to 15% as the age is increased from 40 years to 70 years. This really does not mean that sex life ends with the increase in age as this situation is curable.
Source by flickr
Most of the people feel difficulty in talking with the doctor about the Sex. If you are suffering from Erectile Dysfunction, you should consult this problem with your doctor.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
Following are the causes of Erectile Dysfunction
- Physical causes
- Psychological causes
Physical problems may include problems of Blood Vessels, Nerves and Hormonal problems. About 80% of cases related to Erectile dysfunction is caused by physical problems.
Erection normally occurs when you imagine and you become aroused. The Nervous system sends Nerve impulses that may increase the flow of Blood to the Penis. Blood fills the Spongy chambers in the Penis that makes it expand and rigid. These problems are mostly caused in men being 50 years or older.
Following are 4 requirements for normal erection
- Appropriate functioning of Nervous system that sends signals to the Brain.
- A Vascular system of Blood Vessels that allow the blood to in and out of Penis.
- Smooth muscles that relax and help the Penis to fill with Blood and get enlarge.
- The ability to trap Blood in the Penis that keeps it firm.
Physical problems may include as follows
- Short-term or long-term injuries to the Penis or Pelvic areas.
- Complications in Prostate glands or Prostate Cancer.
- Surgery that may damage the flow of Blood to the Penis.
- Problems in the Blood Vessels that may stop the Blood to fill into Penis.
- Problems in the Nerves that may stop sending signals from the Brain and Spinal Cord to the Penis. Nerve diseases may include Parkinson’s disease, Diabetes, High Cholesterol, Alzheimer’s’ disease and Stroke etc.
- Problems in the structure of tissues of Penis.
- Hormonal factors like low level of Testosterone.
- Side effects of medicines of high Blood pressure and depression.
- The intake of Tobacco, Alcohol or others drugs etc.
- Injuries to Brain and Spinal Cord.
- Hypogonadism that leads to lower level of Testosterone.
- Multiple Sclerosis • Any radiation to the Testicles.
- Prostate or Bladder Surgery
Some activities that prevent the flow of Blood to the Penis can lead to the Erection problems. For example riding bicycle for long distances may also give rise to erection problems.
The psychological causes of the Erection problem are
- Problems in life
- Complications in relationships
- Smoking, it may lead to Atherosclerosis increasing the chances of Erectile Dysfunction. Smokers have 2 times more risk of this condition as compare to the nonsmokers.
- Being overweight and doing little exercise can also lead to this condition. Men, who do regular exercise, have lower risk of Erectile Dysfunction.
These all situations may affect the Erection process by diverting their attention from the things that normally lead to arousal.
The Erection problems in the men less 40 years are most likely to suffer from psychological factors as compare to physical problems.
Symptoms of Erection Dysfunction
The main symptom of an Erection problem is unable to get and hold Erection that is rigid enough to have Sex. Even with the presence of Erection problem, a man can have Orgasm and can easily ejaculate.
Other symptoms of Erection Problem may include:
- Soft erection, not enough to have sex
- Erection that last for a very short time
- Inability to achieve erections
Men who cannot maintain their Erection are considered to be Erectile Dysfunction
Diagnoses of Erection Dysfunction
Erection problem is diagnosed with the help of question asking and the physical checkup.
The doctor may also carry out to different tests to know about the happenings with the help of exam, Lab tests, mental health tests and other hidden causes of this disease.
Treatment of Erection Dysfunction
There are many treatments of Erection problems. Doctors recommend the life style changes and different medicines to treat this problem. The doctor hardly suggests the surgery until the first 2 treatments do not work.
Following are the treatments of this condition
- Lifestyle changes including avoiding Tobacco, avoiding different illegal drugs and Alcohol.
- The doctor may ask different questions from your partner
- Doing exercises
- If you are overweight, try to lose some weight.
- Get counseling
- Tracing and avoiding medicines that may lead to this problem.
- Taking medicines that may help in getting Erection including Viagra etc. Always consult a doctor before taking any such medicine. If you are suffering from Heart diseases, such medicines can be dangerous for your health.
Following are the some of the side effects of medicines used to treat Erectile Dysfunction
- Stomach upset
- Runny Nose
- Change in the body color, the color of body may become Red
- Vision problems.
- Take treatment for the depression and anxiety.
- Use of Vacuum device that may help in putting medicine into the Penis.
- Surgery for the implantation in the Penis.
Prevention of Erectile Dysfunction
Following are the ways to prevent Erectile Dysfunction
- Stop smoking
- Do regular exercise to maintain a good weight
- Try to avoid Alcohol and other drugs
- Try to control your Diabetes.
Link between Erectile Dysfunction and Other Diseases
Erectile Dysfunction is sometimes a sign of other diseases like Heart Disease. A study done in the year 2010 says that this condition may be symptoms of Heart attack, Stroke and death from cardiovascular diseases. The men suffering from this condition should be checked for Cardiovascular disease. This does mean that all the men suffering from Heart diseases must be suffering from Erectile Dysfunction or all the men suffering from Erectile Dysfunction may also suffer from Cardiovascular diseases but there is a link found between these 2 things.
Discussion of Erectile Dysfunction with Your Partner
It is natural to feel embarrassed, when you are suffering from this Erectile Dysfunction. Don’t forget that your partner is also affected from this condition of yours. Discussing this problem openly with your partner can help in diagnosis and treatment of this problem. This will ensure your partner that you still have interest in your partner and you will help him, if he is suffering from any physical or psychological problem that may lead to Erectile Dysfunction.
Erectile Dysfunction is a rare problem but it is curable. If you are suffering from this condition, try to trace this problem and treat it as soon as possible.