The human body is very complicated and composed of multiple parts and organs, working of these organs and parts are related to each other. Knee pain is among the worst pains, knees keep our body in good balancing position and help us to walk and stand with good posture.
Symptoms of Knee Injuries
- Knee Locking
- Instable Walk
- Problems in bending
- Bruising and popping Sounds
Knee pain is caused due to different kinds of injuries, the most common knee injuries are:
Knee strains happen due to stretching of tendons/muscles around the knee. Knee strain is painful and can affect the normal functioning of knees(movement).
Knee sprain is related to the injury of ligaments, ligaments play a vital role in the alignment of the knees. There are Four types of ligaments; Anterior Cruciate Ligament, Posterior Cruciate Ligament, medial collateral ligament, lateral collateral ligament. ACL and PCL ligaments keep the knees in a stable position and support the smooth front/back movement. MCL and LCL prevent the bone sliding.
Grades of Knee Sprain
Ist Grade: Stretching happens in Ist Grade Knee Sprain and is painful. Fibers are not affected in this Knee Sprain.
2nd Grade: In the 2nd grade knee sprain ligament fibers are somewhat affected and light instability may occur.
3rd Grade: In this grade knees become unstable due to complete worn out of ligament fibers.
Dislocation of Knee Joints
Dislocation of knee joints usually happens with sportsmen and those who face road/vehicle accidents. Knee joint injury happens very rarely, but it badly affects the blood vessels and nerves around the knees. Surgery is required in some severe cases.
Meniscus Tears happen due to internal injury of knee, meniscus is actually somewhat round kind of cartilage that supports the bones of thighs and function like a shock absorber.
Knee Fracture happens due to direct injury of bones, one of the most common fracture is a knee cap fracture that occurs when a person fell down directly and his/her weight fall upon the knees. Sometimes sudden compression of knee tibia bone becomes the cause of knee fracture.
Other Reasons of Knee Injuries
- Sportsmen suffer from different kinds of knee injuries during practice or during the match, most of the times knee injuries during practice/play happen due to twisting of the knee. Cycling is good, but sometimes if a person fell down from the cycle knee injuries occur.
- Older people suffer a lot from knee injuries, mostly fracture happen due to weakness of bones.
- Overweight is one the cause of knee injury and knee pain, if a person is fat his all body weight is supported by legs and knee so overweight on the knee become the cause of knee pain and knee injuries.
Diagnosis of Knee Injury
Knee injury is diagnosed through the following ways;
- CT Scan
- Tissue analysis (to check the height of tissue damage)
Physicians start the treatment of knee injuries right after the diagnosis. Treatment is provided according to the injury. Medicine is recommended in case of minor injury, but in case of severe injury physiotherapy and exercises are also suggested.