Staying healthy can often mean taking medication when you need it. While some people would prefer to recover without it, others recognize how much some medications can help them. However, it’s important to be careful with any medicine. It doesn’t matter if it is something you are prescribed or over-the-counter. Taking too much can lead to negative consequences, including illness and even death. It’s possible to overdose even on some of the most commonly taken medications. For example, if you are using a variety of medicines to treat a cold, you could end up taking too much acetaminophen. If you accidentally overdose, here’s what you should do.

Recognize the Symptoms

It’s important to recognize the symptoms of a drug overdose. If you can identify the symptoms, it will be easier to tell if you might have accidentally taken an overdose. However, it can be difficult to pin down any one set of signs. Different drugs will cause you to have various reactions. Some of the signs that could indicate an overdose include nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. You could also experience problems with your temperature, pulse rate or breathing. Some overdoses might result in feeling sleepy or lethargic, or even cause unconsciousness. If you suspect you might have accidentally taken an overdose, it’s a good idea to look up specific symptoms for the drug.

Image By: PeteLinforth
Image By: PeteLinforth

Get Medical Help

If you’re unsure about whether you have overdosed or think you have, you should seek medical help. It may not be serious, but a doctor or other medical professional can tell you if it is. If you have a local poison center, they could be your first port of call. It might also be a good idea to go to the emergency department or an urgent care center. Some doctor’s offices can handle overdoses too. It’s important that you go with information about what you took, how much, and when. Even if you don’t think the problem is serious, you should be cautious. Overdoses can have unpredictable effects.

Induce Vomiting

In some cases, a doctor or other medical professional will suggest inducing vomiting. For example, you might speak to someone over the phone. They could suggest that you expel what you have taken before it can take effect. However, you shouldn’t make yourself vomit unless you are sure it is safe. If you go to a hospital, they might choose to pump your stomach to achieve the same results. If you need help making yourself be sick, you can read a complete guide to throwing up easily. There are several ways you induce vomiting that could help you.

Understand How to Prevent Accidental Overdose

It’s important to learn how you can avoid accidentally overdosing in the future. Taking any drugs as instructed on the packet or bottle is a good start. That includes heeding any warning about combining them with other medications. It’s also important to read the ingredients. For example, you might be taking Tylenol as well as cold and flu medication. If you do this, you could take more than the recommended dose of acetaminophen.

An accidental overdose could be dangerous. It’s important to be careful and pay attention when you take any medication.

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.