Nausea by itself is not an illness but primarily a symptom of some other disorder or health conditions. Nausea is a feeling of sickness in the stomach characterized by an urge to vomit. Nausea is basically a reaction; the body has, due to the presence of some illness in your body.
It often occurs with or precedes vomiting. It can be acute and short lived, or it can be prolonged and persistent at some times. In order to treat nausea it would be necessary to understand and address the cause.
Nausea Causes :
There are many causes due to which it occurs which are as follows
- It can originate from problems in the brain or organs of the upper gastrointestinal tract.
- Sometimes it is triggered by the dysfunction that occurs in the vestibular systems of the inner ear, vertigo that produces a sense of disorientation and imbalance often leading to nausea.
- One cause of chronic nausea is morning sickness during pregnancy happens due to an increase in the estrogen levels in the body of the pregnant woman.
- Hypoglycemia is a condition where deficiency of glucose in the blood occurs and it also may cause nausea.
- Excessive use of drugs and alcohol leads to stomach upset that imparts nausea.
- Many people experience nausea and vomiting as a side effect of the anesthesia from surgery.
- Prolonged emotional Stress can also be the cause of nausea.
- Motion sickness is the nausea, disorientation and fatigue that can be induced by head motion. As symptoms build, an upset stomach, fatigue or drowsiness may occur. The final stages are characterized by nausea and vomiting.
- Constipation can also leads to a feeling of nausea because the causes behind constipation and nausea are often common. Chronic constipation may lead to various stomach disorders like acidity, toxicity e.t.c which in turn may lead to feelings of nausea.
- Sometimes consuming food more than required level would also cause this problem.
- Profuse sweating sometimes accompanies nausea.
- Nausea can be a side effect of certain food allergy.
- Other causes of nausea include diarrhea, weakness, fever, vomiting, hepatitis, gall bladder infection, pancreatitis, severe anxiety, cancer, and headache and bowel obstruction disease.
How To Cure Nausea:
Here are some home remedies that will help you in getting quick relief from nausea.
- GO to an open space and get some fresh air.
- Applying ice on the forehead
- Take non-carbonated syrups for relief.
- Make ginger tea with fresh ginger that works great for nausea and head motion.
- Chewing mint leaves or mint flavored candies.
- If you’ve been feeling nausea, try eating some light food and clear soups. Keep your body well hydrated and sip water.
- Clove is known for its nausea fighting properties. Add a spoonful of clove powder in a cup of boiling water. Strain the clove and drink the spice-infused beverage to get relief from nausea.
- You should consume 1/2 tsp grounded cumin seed to find relief from nausea and vomiting.
- Morning sickness is a very common feature among pregnant ladies. To avoid this nauseating morning sickness mix 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar with 1 tbsp honey. Mix it in cold water and have it before going to bed.
- Wrist-bands are used to control motion sickness.
- Keep a handful of crackers on your nightstand; eating a few before you get out of bed may help ease nausea in the morning. Foods that are high in starch helps absorb stomach acids and settle a queasy stomach.
Treatment Through Anti-Nausea Drugs :
Anti-nausea drugs control the queasy sensation, and antiemetic drugs control vomiting. Antiemetic drugs suppress the effects of chemicals in the brain that stimulate the urge to vomit. Following are some of the over-the-counter products available for relieving nauseous symptoms:-
- Alka-Seltzer – fizzy solution for treating acid indigestion
- Apothecary Ezy Care Cola Syrup – fructose-based cola relief for upset stomach
- Pepto-Bismol – for simple upset stomach
- Emetrol – used to control vomiting, safe for children
- Dramamine – prevention and treatment of nausea and vomiting associated with motion sickness
- Bonine – prevention and treatment of nausea and vomiting associated with motion sickness
These are the symptoms and some tips to cure nausea. We can conclude from the above discussion, the most common causes of nausea are disorders of the Stomach and digestive system. Chronic nausea doesn’t happen without a reason or a diagnosis, and coping with chronic nausea takes some skill and knowledge. The best method of treating nausea would always be by treating the underlying cause and seek medical help to treat that condition.